Here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions concerning dining on campus. If you don't find the answer to your question, please send us an email to dining@wwu.edu and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

View all questions

Meal Plans

What Meal Plans do you offer?

We offer a variety of meal plans to meet your on campus dining needs. Check out our Meal Plans page for a full list of offerings.

What type of Meal Plan is recommended?

We have a variety of meal plans to meet your needs!  Depending on your class year, where you live and how much you are on campus, our recommendations may vary.  Be sure to use our filter and sort functions to help choose your plan.  If you still need help choosing a plan, give us a call at 360-650-2970 or send an email to dining@wwu.edu.

How do I sign up for an on campus meal plan?

Using Your Meal Plan
Each plan comes with a quarterly allowance of meals and Dining Dollars. Meals are available at any dining commons.  Just a swipe of your Western Card deducts a meal from your dining balance, and unused meals expire at the end of the quarter. Dining Dollars may be spent in any of the campus cafés and markets, or to buy additional meals in a dining commons. Dining Dollars carry over from one quarter to the next and expire on the last day of spring quarter. You can monitor your meal plan balance from any internet-connected computer or mobile device. See dining room policies for information about take-outs, absences, and meal card misuse.

Changing Your Meal Plan
Once you start using your meal plan, you may decide the plan you have chosen is too much or not enough. Meal plan upgrades are accepted anytime during the school year; downgrades are accepted through the second Friday of the quarter. Meal plan changes must be requested in person or by email, and by the actual student (not a parent or guardian). If submitting a request by email, be sure to include your full name and student ID number. Your student account will be prorated accordingly.
Dining Services — Edens Hall Lobby — Weekdays 8-5 — Dining@wwu.edu

Billing & Payment
Meal plans roll over from quarter to quarter and expire at the end of the school year.  Your meal plan is automatically billed to your student account before the start of each quarter and payment is due with your room rent, tuition and fees on the first day of classes.  A late fee and interest charge consistent with the WWU Late Fee Policy and WWU Interest Charge Policy is assessed on past due balances.  See the Student Business Office for more information.

Meal Plan Termination
If you move out of the residence halls at any time during the year, your meal plan automatically terminates on the day you check out and your student account is prorated accordingly.  Using your meal plan beyond your checkout date will result in additional meal plan charges. Optional meal plans for students who live off campus or in Birnam Wood are available in Dining Services main office, in Edens Hall, Suite 109.

How can I sign up for an optional or off campus meal plan?

8:00AM - 5:00PM, MONDAY - FRIDAY


Download Form

University Dining Services
Western Washington University
516 High Street, MS 9195
Bellingham, WA 98225
Fax: 360-650-6890

1. Visit wwu.campusdish.com
2. Click on the purchase meal plans tab
3. Click on Meal Plan Sign-Up
4. Login using your Universal ID and Password
5. Select a start date and a plan
6. Submit and print your success screen
7. Check your WWU student email for confirmation
(note: this online form will be activated on September 1st).

Web-based sign up is available to off-campus commuters, faculty and staff during the first two weeks of the quarter, and activation occurs by 10 a.m. the next business day. Birnam Wood residents must sign up in person or by mail or fax.

Are Meal Plans required?

All students living on campus are required to purchase a meal plan.
Off campus students are not required to purchase a meal plan, but many students take advantage of the convenience and value a meal plan has to offer.

What are Dining Dollars & Viking Dollars?

Dining Dollars and Viking Dollars are accepted as payment at all on campus restaurants. They are loaded right on your Student ID card, so there is no need to carry around cash or another card! There is no minimum balance, over draft fees, or hassles!

How do I get Dining Dollars or Viking Dollars?

Dining Dollars come with your meal plan and Viking Dollars can be purchased by clicking here, or by visiting us on campus at Edens Hall 109.

What if I want to change my Meal Plan?

Meal Plan change requests must be submitted to the Meal Plan Office.  For questions, give us a call at 360-650-2970.

How do I get into the dining locations once I have purchased my Meal Plan?

Within 24 hours, your Student ID card will be activated with your meal plan. Present your card to the cashier in the dining hall, and you are all set!

Can I carry meals over to the next quarter?

No, all meals expire at the end of the quarter.

Can I treat a friend to a meal?

Yes. Depending on what meal plan you purchase, there are a set number of Guest Meals available.

What do I do when my Viking Dollar balance gets low?

You can reload your Viking Dollars at any time! Viking Dollars can be purchased by clicking here, or by visiting us on campus at Edens Hall 109 or you can reload at any POD register in The Atrium, Zoe’s Bookside Bagels, Miller Market, & The Viking Union Market.

Where is the Meal Plan Office Located?

516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225 Edens Hall 109

What if I need a sack lunch?

Sack Lunch

Sack Lunches are available to students with a meal plan, for times when they are unable to get to one of the dining commons during regular meal hours. This may occur due to illness, an off-campus field trip or job, or some other scheduling conflict. Please be aware of the following.

  1. Please give 24 hours notice when ordering a sack meal.
  2. Our team will do their best to fulfill your request.
  3. Valid pick-up times for sack lunch requests are: Monday – Friday from 7:15am – 6:30pm, Saturday and Sunday from 10:30am – 6pm.
  4. Sack lunches include: sandwich, condiments, chips, fruit, dessert, and beverage unless otherwise specified.
  5. If you would like an alternative to the breads listed. Please select 'other' from the bread drop-down list and describe what you would like in the 'other' textbox.
  6. Please give 24 hours notice to cancel a sack meal.
  7. If you have a regularly scheduled sack lunch and you miss two pick-ups, unfortunately your regular sack lunch order will be cancelled until you speak with the Dining Manager.
  8. All-quarter-long sack lunches end on dead week due to the change in class times for finals week.

To order a Sack Lunch, please contact your dining commons manager.


What are the dining policies?

Dining Room Policies

Dining Commons Behavior

The community nature of a university dining commons is unique. Unlike any other eating situation, elements of both a home atmosphere and a restaurant dining environment are present. Students must respect the rights of, and cooperate with, other diners in maintaining a clean and pleasant environment. We ask your cooperation in keeping the dining commons atmosphere one that everyone can enjoy.

Dining Commons Attire

Casual, comfortable attire may be worn at all regular meals served in University dining facilities. However, students without shirts, shoes, or wearing only bathing suits will not be admitted to the dining commons.

Second Helpings

Unlimited seconds on all food items are available at each meal session in the Residential Dining Commons. However, all food must be consumed in the dining commons. No food may be removed from the premises.


Room and board charges take into consideration occasional missed meals. Therefore, refunds are not granted in the event of meal absences.


Your resident dining rates are based upon your being able to eat as much as you want while you are in the dining commons during meal hours. However, a sack lunch or dinner can be provided if you have a scheduling problem, such as a field trip, other class or work commitment, or official school or residence commons event, which will cause you to miss a meal. Your request must be presented to your Dining Commons Manager at least 24 hours in advance, or you may sign up for a sack meal at least 24 hours in advance.

If you are too ill to eat your meal in a Resident Dining Commons, contact your Resident Commons staff to request a sick tray. If you are on a special diet for medical purposes and find that the necessary food is not provided by the regular menu, please contact your Dining Commons Manager. Written doctor's instructions may be required.

Misuse of your Meal Card

Students who allow others to use their meal card will have their card confiscated and be subject to University misconduct proceedings. Students who use a card that is not their own will be subject to a fine of $10 plus the cost of the meal(s) eaten and will be subject to University conduct proceedings. When you lend your card to someone else, food service costs increase. The expense for Dining Service's operations is shared by all students; cost increases are passed on in the form of higher room and board rates.

Lost Meal Cards

If your Western Card is lost or stolen, contact the Western Card Office at 360-650-7414 to see if your card has been turned in. You will be contacted through your MyWestern Email account to inform you if your Western Card is found.


A replacement Western Card may be purchased for $8.00. This fee will be charged to your student account.  Viking Dollars or meal plans tenders will be transferred to the new card.

Where is the table tent policy?

Table Tent Reservation Policy


Table Tents are an excellent way of informing the campus community of upcoming WWU events and activities. They are an inexpensive advertising tool for any campus organization on a first come, first serve reservation basis, and they are highly visible to thousands of students, faculty and staff daily as they relax and enjoy their meals in the resident dining commons.


Table Tents at residential dining locations are for the purpose of conveying information about campus activities and events. The policy will apply to the placement of all Table Tents in the resident dining (Viking, Ridgeway & Fairhaven Commons). For complete coverage you will need 300 inserts


Any campus organization may reserve space, maximum once per quarter. Dining Services will begin taking reservations on the first business day in September for fall quarter, and starting week seven of each previous quarter for winter and spring quarters. For reservations, please call Dining Services, 360-650-2970.

  1. University Dining Services will take one reservation per week, on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  2. When reserving the table tent space the specific organization name must be given, not an umbrella name.
  3. Table Tent content, size, and design must be approved by the Dining Service Office in advance for all dining commons. This approval should be made at Edens Hall, Suite 109, prior to printing.
  4. Standard table tent dimensions are 4.5” Wide x 14.25” long.
  5. Please print on cardstock. We will not be responsible for damaged table tents.
  6. The insert sponsor needs to provide the complete materials (i.e. folded tents) to Dining Services for placement the Friday prior to the reservation. We will place the table tents according to the dates reserved. Table tents must be separated into three (3) bags with 100 tents per bag
  7. The maximum duration for a table tent shall be seven (7) days, Mon.-Sun. The reserved week dates must be clearly visible along the bottom of each tent (e.g. 9/22 – 9/28). Inserts without visible reserved week dates will be removed by Dining Service staff.
  8. The message and content of the table tents is limited to on-campus activities sponsored by campus organizations, and may not contain messages of an individual nature (such as political advertising).
  9. If organizations would like to share a table tent they will need to submit a joint design for approval. Due to space and size of the insert we recommend no more than two organization share this space. 

If you have additional questions, please call University Dining Services' Main Office at 360-650-2970.